How to Apply
Application Deadlines – NEW
- Spring 2018: EXTENDED to December 1, 2017
- Fall 2018: May 15, 2018
- Completed online application form with $95.00 nonrefundable application fee.
Transcripts from all post-secondary schools attended. The rules and requirements for providing documentation for domestic vs. international transcripts are outlined below:
- Domestic Transcripts from institutions in the U.S. or Canada
If your transcripts are from an institution in the U.S. or Canada, we strongly recommend submitting unofficial documents through the online application system at the time of application. Candidates offered admission will later be required to supply official documents prior to enrollment for verification before the offer is considered official. For those applicants who are offered admission, official transcripts must arrive in envelopes sealed by the issuing institutions certifying conferral of a bachelor’s degree. Copies, opened or unsealed envelopes, unofficial printouts, or facsimiles will not be accepted. Many schools take a number of weeks to fulfill transcript requests; please plan accordingly. The Admissions Committee reserves the right to withdraw any offer of admission already made if there is a discrepancy between the self-reported transcript and the official transcript.
If your post-secondary credentials are from an institution outside the U.S. or Canada, the Office of Admission requires you to submit all post-secondary credentials (undergraduate and graduate) to World Education Services, Inc. (WES), a third party verification agency for a course-by-course evaluation. WES must complete a course-by-course evaluation of all post-secondary credentials. Please select the WES basic course-by-course evaluation (with GPA and course-levels) and request to have WES send your evaluation to Columbia University School of Continuing Education (now School of Professional Studies). The school can be found by searching Columbia University and then selecting School of Continuing Education (now School of Professional Studies). The evaluation provided to the School of Professional Studies becomes an official academic record and sole property of the School of Professional Studies upon its receipt.WES evaluations will be reviewed by the School of Professional Studies administrators and the determination of degree equivalency to U.S. degrees is at the discretion of the School of Professional Studies.
- Statement of Academic Purpose (500 – 750 words) that addresses the following:
- your purpose and interest in pursuing a degree in sustainability science
- how the degree program fits into your overall professional growth, focusing in particular on the connection between the program and your academic and/or professional experience
- Two Letters of Recommendation
Written by teachers or professional colleagues who are well-positioned to comment on your intellectual strengths and professional promise.
Applicants notify their recommenders of the request through the online application system and are strongly encouraged to do so as early as possible to compensate for any potential delays in submission on the part of the recommender. Recommendations are submitted through the online application system.
Submitting the Application
- Applicants are encouraged to submit all supporting application materials through the online application system. Unofficial documents will be used for admission consideration.
- Applications are not considered complete until all required materials listed in the Application Materials section above have been received. Only complete applications will be reviewed.
- Applicants who are admitted to the program must submit all official documents to the Office of Admissions before the offer is considered official.
- All submitted materials should clearly bear the applicant’s name and the name of the program to which he or she is applying.
Mailing Address and Contact Information
Office of Admissions School of Professional Studies
203 Lewisohn Hall
2970 Broadway, Mail Code 4119
New York , NY 10027-6902
Office hours: Monday-Friday,9:00 AM-5:00 PM